POLICE OFFICER ADVERTISEMENT
The Borough of Berwick Civil Service Commission is currently accepting applications for the position of police officer. At least three (3) full time open positions are expected to be filled and possibly multiple part time. The Physical Agility Test and Written Examination will be held on October 21, 2017.
Applications are available between 07:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. at Berwick City Hall and online at http://www.berwickborough.org/index.php?pageid=10. A thirty-five dollar ($35) application fee is required, checks made payable to “Borough of Berwick”. All applications must be submitted by mail to Berwick City Hall c/o Civil Service Commission, 1800 North Market Street Berwick, PA 18603 and received no later than 4:30 P.M. Monday, October 16, 2017.
Qualifications and Pre-Requisites:
- All applicants must be a United States citizen and must have reached their twenty-first (21st) birthday before the deadline for submitting a completed application.
- All applicants must possess a diploma from an accredited high school or a graduate equivalency diploma (GED).
- Be physically and mentally fit to perform the duties of a police officer.
- Possess a valid operator’s license and be eligible to legally operate a motor vehicle in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- All applicants must be Act 120 certified under the Municipal Police Officers Education and Training Commission Act, or be eligible for an Act 120 waiver or certification, or currently be enrolled in a full time MPOETC accredited police academy and completed at least fifty percent (50%) of the program or currently enrolled in a MPOETC accredited part time police academy and have completed at least seventy-five percent (75%) of the training hours required.
The examination for Police Officer shall consist of a Physical Agility Test, Written Examination, Oral Examination, Background Examination and Polygraph Examination.
- The Written Examination and Oral Examination will be graded on a one hundred percent (100%) scale. The Written Examination will represent seventy percent (70%) of the final score. The Oral Examination will represent thirty percent (30%) of the final score.
- The Physical Agility Test, Background Investigation and Polygraph Examination will be graded as pass/fail.
Physical Agility Test:
- The Physical Agility Test will be held at the Senator John R. Gordner Stadium, located next to the Salem Elementary School which is located at 810 East 10th Street, Berwick, PA 18603 at 10:00 A.M. on Saturday October 21, 2017. Those candidates passing the Physical Agility Test will qualify to take the Written Examination. The Physical Agility Test shall consist of:
- Vertical Jump of a minimum of fifteen and a half (15.5) inches.
- Thirty (30) Sit Ups in one (1) minute.
- 300 Meter Run within sixty-six (66) seconds.
- Twenty-five (25) Push Ups (no time limit, rest in the up position only).
- One and a half (1.5) mile run within fifteen minutes and fifty-four seconds (15:54).
The Written Examination will be held in the library at Salem Elementary School, immediately following completion of the Physical Agility Test.
- Starting salary currently is $41,082.
- Comprehensive medical with family coverage provided at minimal cost and with deductible reimbursement.
- Dental and vision coverage.
- Generous vacation package.
- Deferred compensation (457) plan.
- Reach “Top Patrolman” salary rate of $57,178 upon completion of third (3rd) year.
- Multiple special assignments within the department, such as Detective, Special Operations Group, SWAT, Training Instructor, FTO, Bike Patrol and Community Policing.
- A department where you will be a valued member of the team.
The Borough of Berwick Police Department is a full-service law enforcement agency with an authorized workforce of fifteen (15) sworn officers and two (2) civilian employees. The department’s service area comprises three and a quarter (3.25) square miles with a total population of over ten thousand (10,000) residents.
Successful applicants once given an offer of employment must pass a medical exam and psychological exam and shall reside in the Borough of Berwick or within fifteen (15) air miles of the borough border within six (6) months of the completion of the probationary period.
View/Download the Police Officer Application Form
View/Download the Informed Consent and Medical Release Forms